Recruiting agents is the lifeblood of building your real estate brokerage. Agents will come and go and often it can feel like a roller coaster, but if you are constantly recruiting, you will keep your pipeline full and that will help minimize the ups and downs. It’s important to continually recruit a good mix of new and experienced agents. Above all, you want them to be productive and in alignment with the goals of your brokerage. To keep them, you need to continually provide value that they will have a tough time getting anywhere else. Having a good group of experienced agents helps maintain continuous production, while newer agents get up to speed. They can also serve as role models.
How Will You Attract Experienced Agents?
As a savvy broker and business owner, you already understand the value of having a comprehensive business plan in place, but how often do you update and revisit it? It is helpful to create or update your business plan each year to help you stay on track, move the needle forward, and keep your goals front of mind. This plan should certainly outline how you intend to attract high-quality agents to your team and how many of them you need each year. At Weichert this is part of “knowing your numbers”. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Create a Powerful Brand That Will Act as a Recruiting Magnet. For independent brokers, having a big brand presence in your local market is particularly important when trying to compete for seasoned agents. One story we hear over and over again from our brokers, is that recruiting got a whole lot easier the day they put the Weichert sign on their building. A big brand also helps with lead generation which is always a concern of established agents looking to change affiliation.
- Lead with Lead Generation. Even senior agents who have a good network are attracted to the possibility of quality leads that can come their way with little or no effort on their part. To the extent that you can show them a ready pipeline of these leads that come into your brokerage, you can demonstrate an advantage over where they are now. This is perhaps one of the strongest recruiting assets Weichert has, thanks to the Weichert Lead Network, a national system of advertising and technology that delivers online leads to live agents within minutes.
- Tools That Work. Then provide things like a CRM, listing presentation, professional personal branding and marketing materials that they don’t need to spend time creating themselves. Now you’ve positioned your brokerage as a place that provides value. Weichert, for example, provides its agents with a proprietary CRM, as well as listing and selling tools like our DOORS™ listing presentation, unique Price Trend Analysis, and “Getting to Know You” workbook, plus libraries of professionally designed marketing brochures and customizable templates for attracting clients and listing and selling homes.
The Power of a Brand In Recruiting
Part of the reason for the see-saw of agent headcount is often recruiting gets a lot of attention one week, then none for the rest of the month! What do you need to have a successful recruiting program? Here are some things to consider:
- An annual recruiting plan
- Defined recruiting activities
- Professional marketing and presentation materials to use with recruits that presents your value
- Consistent execution
- Training to get agents up and running and productive fast
At Weichert, we believe recruiting is one of the key pillars to brokerage success. This is why we provide our affiliates with guidance and support in each of the areas above. In addition, by providing agents with a full suite of selling systems, technology and marketing materials to support their business, we help our affiliates retain their agents by creating ongoing value. To learn more about the Weichert systems and the benefits they provide brokerages across the country, contact us at 877-567-3350 or view weichertfranchise.com.